CBD stands for cannabidiol, a cannabinoid, or in simple terms, a naturally occurring compound unique to the cannabis plant.
Cannabinoids interact with the human endocannabinoid system, which maintains the balance between basic biological processes, such as memory, mood, appetite, sleep, pain, and immune function.
However, CBD isn’t psychoactive like THC; it doesn’t get people high. As a result, hemp-derived CBD products are widely used to manage a wide range of symptoms from medical conditions as well as common disorders.
CBD comes in many different forms. Many people choose gummies instead of CBD tinctures and other forms because they provide the user with the best of both worlds; CBD gummies are convenient, easy to take, dose, and more enjoyable than other products. Most importantly, they don’t have that harsh earthy flavor of CBD oil, and they’re easier to administer than vapes, tinctures, or capsules.
Most CBD gummies have between 10–30 mg CBD per count, leading to nice relaxation without excessive sedation. Many users take more than one gummy throughout the day, but the best dosage for each individual is determined by a range of factors, such as their age, weight, metabolism, the severity of symptoms, and their prior experience with CBD.
CBD oil in most gummies is extracted from hemp plants and contains no THC or other cannabinoids. You can find these products labeled as “THC-free” or “Zero THC.” Some gummies come with trace amounts of THC (0.3% or less), meaning they contain the full-spectrum of cannabinoids. Such products are still federally legal, but states can create their own limits on full-spectrum gummies.
In this guide, we’ll review only THC-free gummies.
Read on to learn about CBD gummies, the benefits they offer, general dosage guidelines, and where to find the best CBD gummies in 2020.
10 Best CBD Gummies in 2020 Reviewed
1. Royal CBD (Overall Winner)
Our editor’s pick, Royal CBD is a premium brand rooted in California selling CBD products from organic hemp. The guys at Royal CBD offer only one potency and flavor (10 mg, Fruit Punch), but the formula is very well-thought-out.
Royal CBD gummies are made only with natural ingredients. This includes the flavorings too. They’re also pretty guilt-free for a sweet treat, carrying only 3 grams of sugar per container. The presence of sugar results from the fruit juices that were infused into the gummies to achieve fruity flavors and appealing colors.
Royal CBD gummies feature 99.9% pure CBD isolate, with 10 mg in each bear. Using smaller increments like 10 mg allows for more accurate dosing without experiencing sedation. And since isolate is flavorless and odorless, there are no earthy flavors one would experience when taking a full-spectrum or broad-spectrum extract.
CBDfx is another company that offers a plethora of options for their CBD gummies. These sweet treats are made for both novice and experienced consumers alike — available in two potencies (5 mg or 40 mg of CBD per piece).
On top of that, CBDfx has various gummy formulas in their selection, each offering unique benefits. On top of their traditional daily gummies, CBDfx sells gummy bears infused with spirulina and turmeric for enhanced immune function; the company also offers sleep-aid gummies with melatonin, as well as jet-setters that come infused with vitamins.
You can also buy low-potency gummies from CBDfx. These are available in eight-count packages as well as mix-and-match bundles for those who can’t decide on their preferred formula and flavor.
Similar to CBDistillery, CBDfx gummies are higher in sugar than other brands. On the other hand, these are full-spectrum gummies, so the addition of these two ingredients makes sense given the unpleasant hemp taste of full-spectrum CBD.
CBDistillery offers two types of CBD gummies designed with different types of users.
The company’s regular CBD gummies are designed for consumption throughout the day. Each gummy comes with 30 mg of 99% pure CBD, so they’re also suitable for people who face routine drug tests, such as public employees.
CBDistillery also has Night-Time Gummies. Similar to the daytime version, this option contains 30 mg of CBD per count, but with 2 mg of sleep-supporting melatonin. Both products are made from U.S.-grown, non-GMO hemp plants and can be consumed by vegans.
The only downside of these gummies is the sugar content, which is higher than in competitors’ products due to grape juice concentrate and added cane sugar. They are very tasty but may turn out too sweet for some users in the long run.
4. PlusCBD Oil
Another brand selling full-spectrum CBD gummies, PlusCBD Oil is a good option for people who prefer lower levels of CBD, but with the added benefit of essential fatty acids, other phytocannabinoids, terpenes, vitamins, and trace minerals.
On top of using organic hemp plants, PlusCBD oil gummies include all-natural ingredients such as organic seaweed extract, purified water, and organic cane sugar. This product is also non-GMO, doesn’t contain dairy, soy, gluten or gelatin. It’s a 100% vegan-friendly option.
You can choose between two delicious flavors — Cherry Mango and Fruit Punch. Both are very tasty and mask the natural taste of full-spectrum CBD pretty well. They PlusCBD Oil gummies are available in 30-count and 60-count containers. The latter option saves you more money on the order, but it doesn’t change the fact these gummies are a bit expensive when you consider the price per mg of CBD.
DiamondCBD has one of the broadest line ups of CBD-infused edibles, with an impressive selection of CBD gummies.
This company offers a wide range of shapes and flavors; its gummies are available as worms, mini fruits, rings, frogs, or traditional bears.
Whether you want a bulkier supply or a small pack of 12 gummies, DiamondCBD has everything you need in its stock. All of the company’s products are tested for potency and purity in third-party laboratories, with Certificates of Analysis available on its website.
But despite the almost overwhelming number of flavors and shapes to choose from, Diamondcbd actually offers pretty much the same products. There are two strengths available for sale — 7.25 mg and 12.5 mg per gummy. These aren’t usual increments and may be difficult to dose, especially for those taking gummies for the first time.
And besides the obvious dosage problem, these gummies also contain three artificial colorings, which is why we give them the runner up title.
Searching for the Best CBD Gummies? Here’s What You Need to Know
The main reason people take their supplements in the form of a capsule or edible is that they don’t like the taste of natural CBD oil. Gummies are definitely the best edible CBD product for picky CBD users.
The majority of premium CBD gummies are flavored with fruit concentrate or fruit juice, which adds a pleasant taste and mask the flavor of full-spectrum CBD. These ingredients also give CBD gummies their appealing colors.
CBD gummies are easier to take than capsules because you don’t need to swallow them down with water. You can chew your gummies for as long as you like — absorbing the CBD content through sucking it in your mouth — and then eat them just like any other cannabis edible
Gummies come in a wide range of strengths, from as little as 2 mg to a whopping 100 mg per serving.
Here we provide the most important information about CBD, the health benefits of CBD gummies, and how they turn out in comparison with other forms of cannabidiol.
What is CBD and What Does It Do?
CBD is the acronym for cannabidiol, a cannabinoid unique to cannabis plants. Cannabinoids are natural molecules that engage with a neurochemical network known as the endocannabinoid system (ECS). The molecular structure of cannabinoids regulates the functioning of ECS, bringing balance to functions like mood, memory, cognition, immune responses, pain signaling, mood, sleep, appetite, fertility, and body temperature.
Products high in CBD can help users manage the symptoms of many physical and mental conditions, such as:
- Anxiety and stress
- Chronic pain
- HIV and other diseases that compromise the immune system
- Insomnia and other illnesses associated with sleep deprivation
Since CBD is derived from cannabis, many people think that it’s the same as marijuana. But in fact, CBD gummies can’t get you high because CBD doesn’t have intoxicating properties. So as long as your gummies are made from hemp, which contains less than 0.3% THC, you won’t get buzzed from eating them.
Hemp-derived gummies are legal in all 50 states as a result of the 2018 Farm Bill. Products made from marijuana are only legal in states that have legalized medical or recreational use of cannabis.
Once again, our guide focuses on CBD products that are THC-free.
What Makes Gummies Different from Other CBD Products?
The reason why CBD gummies have become so popular all across the United States is that they offer a unique experience for CBD users, combining portability and fun with easy dosing.
Here is the stand out features of CBD gummies:
- Long-lasting Effects: CBD gummies are edible products, so they need to be processed in the digestive tract before they enter the bloodstream and produce their effects. Therefore, gummies have a slower onset than other products. On the other hand, their effects are stronger and longer-lasting.
- Low-to-Moderate Potency: While you can find gummies with up to 100 mg per count, most CBD gummies have between 10–30 mg in each piece. The optimal potency is determined by the user’s weight, age, and the type of effects they’re looking for. For most people, the 10–30 mg range is enough, although heavy-weight users or those with severe symptoms may need more potent forms of CBD in their regime.
- Full-Spectrum vs. Isolate: Full-spectrum extracts feature a whole range of cannabinoids (including the minor ones and trace levels of THC), terpenes, and other nutrients, while isolate-based products only contain CBD. Most CBD gummies available for sale are made from 99% pure isolate or broad-spectrum CBD, where THC has been removed after initial extraction.
- A Myriad of Flavors to Choose From: there are a whole world of different shapes, sizes, and flavors when it comes to CBD gummies. Usually, they are a mix of herbal, sour, and exotic options. Full-spectrum extracts are infused with more sugar to mask the unpleasant taste of natural cannabidiol.
- Sweeteners vs. Sugar: CBD gummies can be sweetened with natural sweeteners like stevia or erythritol; some companies also use aspartame or they just add regular sugar for a better taste of their products. If you have a condition that eliminates sugar from your diet, we recommend choosing the ones with natural sweeteners.
- Vegan & Gluten-Free: CBD consumers who are vegan or allergic to gluten can safely use most CBD gummies because they contain no wheat or animal derivatives. However, it’s good to always read labels, just for your own safety.
- Affordable: It should go without saying that CBD gummies are more expensive than your average Haribo Bears, but they’re actually priced quite reasonably for a relatively healthy snack. For example, a package of 30 pieces of 5 mg gummies usually costs $20, which breaks down to about 67 cents per gummy and 13 cents per mg of CBD. It’s a decent deal if you ask us.
Are CBD Gummies Safe? What Are the Possible Side Effects?
Most hemp-derived CBD gummies are considered safe as long as they come from a trusted manufacturer. Their relaxing and pain-relieving effects are broadly documented and the list of side effects is very short. Most of these side effects are very mild and nearly non-existent when you don’t take extremely high doses of CBD.
Common side effects of CBD gummies include:
- Dry Mouth: this is a universal problem with all products that contain cannabinoids. CBD may attach to receptors that control saliva production, leading to mild or moderate dryness in the mouth. You may also feel a strong urge to drink something, especially when using high-potency CBD gummies. Keeping yourself well hydrated throughout that time can help you manage this symptom.
- Dizziness: some users report feeling dizzy after taking CBD, which may result from a temporary drop in blood pressure right after taking CBD gummies. People who naturally have low blood pressures or use certain medications should see their doctor before buying CBD gummies.
- Changes in Appetite: CBD is thought to be a mild appetite suppressant, but some consumers notice increased appetite after taking CBD gummies. This reaction is likely triggered by the added sugar in the gummies, which increases food cravings.
- Diarrhea: Extremely high doses of CBD may trigger diarrhea and general stomach upset.
Can CBD Gummies Get You High?
Although people often feel relaxed after eating CBD gummies, such products won’t get you high in the same way marijuana edibles do.
Some full-spectrum gummies have traces of THC, but this amount won’t exceed 0.3% in most products.
However, despite the lack of psychoactive properties, CBD gummies in high doses can make you feel drowsy. That’s why new users are advised to dose their treats with caution, especially if they need to be up and about throughout the day or when operating motor vehicles.
CBD Gummies Dosage: How Many CBD Gummies Should You Eat?
There’s no one-size-fits-all CBD dosage. The optimal number of gummies for any person depends on a wide range of factors, such as:
- Severity of symptoms
- Possible drug interactions
- Expected effects
If you’re a first-time consumer, you can use the table below for a decent point of reference. It’s recommended that new users start with 2–6 mg of CBD per 10 pounds of weight and monitor the effects throughout one week, readjusting the dosage as needed.
|Weight Group||Best Dose for Mild Effects||Best Dose for Moderate Effects||Best Dose for Strong Effects|
|Less than 130 lbs.||10 mg – 11 mg||12 mg – 14 mg||15 mg – 17 mg|
|130 – 230 lbs.||17 mg –18 mg||19 mg – 23 mg||24 mg –27 mg|
|More than 230 lbs.||22 mg – 23 mg||24 mg – 30 mg||31 mg – 42 mg|
Takeaway on the Best CBD Gummies
CBD has many positive effects on our health, and gummies are arguably the most enjoyable way for CBD-curious people to hop on the ship and explore their edible options.
If you want to make sure that you get the real effects of CBD from your gummies, stick to organic products made from hemp grown in the United States, and most importantly, make sure your product is third-party tested.
When you get the best product and dosage for your needs, start slowly and work your way up to the point where you experience relief without sedation or other mild side effects. Don’t rush another dose if you don’t feel the effects right after consumption; CBD gummies must be processed in your stomach, so wait up to a full 2 hours before taking an additional dose.
If you use any medications that CBD could interact with, consult your doctor before buying CBD gummies.